A few weeks back I stopped reading RSS feeds. This simple act of abstinence opened up a huge amount of time for me to do other things during the day … like listen to podcasts. Unfortunately, this also meant that a bit of a bug in 10centuries went unnoticed for a while. The problem was in the RSS feeds, and there were many. Unique identifiers were not properly being listed. Images were not being displayed properly. Footnotes were completely gone! Whoops.
The official launch of 10centuries is now overdue, though it's very close at hand. There are still a few little details that need to be ironed out before signups can be activated and most of these will be completed in the next 48 hours if everything goes according to plan. I really cannot wait to get this rolled out for people to use. That said, I'm a bit nervous.
Over the last few years I've written a lot of notes about different kind of applications that I would like to create. These have ranged from simple applications like a note-taking app that would also record audio data to more complicated programs that would allow us to create floor plans for future homes and even reach out to real estate APIs around the world to find properties that might be a good match for our dream houses. Yesterday I was joking around with a colleague about a very simple application that I've often thought about building which would help people choose the right name for their baby. This is a market that I believe is ripe for disruption because every application that people can use for this function is, to be completely honest, little more than an ugly list without the necessary filters people will want to find that special name they'll say a million times over the course of their lifetime. Before writing the first line of code, though, an application needs to be planned out. It's during this phase that the future success of an application can be measured, so how can we go about doing it effectively?
Some days are far more productive than others, and today was one of those really busy days despite all of the other items that I needed to attack. Since changing a lot of the Evernote API code that's being used by 10Centuries, I've discovered that deleted notes are no longer removed from a website. The bug has since been squashed, but I'm very curious to know just how many other little issues might exist in the code.
Today was a pretty productive day on the 10Centuries front as I've finally managed to migrate every last one of my sites from Noteworthy to the new platform. One wouldn't know it by looking, but the two platforms are really quite different from each other despite sharing a lot of the same basic roots. Migrating the data meant performing a lot of data massaging, data table optimisation, and retooling quite a few of the core application functions to work with a back-end system that could, if needs be, be split to operate across a number of servers and different architectures. But this is okay, as the average person shouldn't ever need to think about the back-end code or how it operates.